Hands-on approach to agriculture at Aggie Days
Calgary – April 10-14 the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Education committee is bringing the farm to the city. To bridge the urban rural divide, Aggie Days will showcase a number of new hands-on agriculture exhibits at the BMO Centre in the heart of Stampede Park.
“Aggie Days is committed to educating children and adults about agriculture through unique and interactive displays,” says Connie James, Chair of the Agriculture Education committee. “It is an industry that we depend on heavily; however, so many people are unfamiliar with it. Aggie Days gives children and adults the opportunity to make a connection between the food they eat and the farms that grow it.”
New initiatives you will see at this year’s Aggie Days are:
· Honey, a Labrador Retriever and member of the Calgary Fire Department’s Fire investigation Unit, and her partner Brad McDonald, will be in attendance to demonstrate Honey’s ability to investigate fires.
· Bayer CropScience has a brand new display – Thank A Farmer. At this display, you can play games as well as personally write and send a postcard to thank a Canadian farmer.
· Alberta Milk will showcase the ‘Journey of Milk” through an interactive exhibit using a milking machine and a fiberglass cow.
· One month old kids (baby goats) and lambs will make their first appearance at this year’s Aggie Days.
· A mother sow and her piglets are back in a brand new display.
“We are proud to be a part of Aggie Days,” says Joan Shilling, Group Lead, Corporate Community Involvement with Encana. “It is great to showcase agriculture to youth in such a hands-on and engaging way.”
Presented by the Calgary Stampede Agriculture Education committee and sponsored by Encana, Aggie Days runs April 10-14, 2013 and will play host to approximately 40,000 people throughout the five days. The first three days are reserved for pre-registered school groups with the doors opening to the public on the weekend. The Family Fun Days take place on Saturday April 13, and Sunday April 14, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission is FREE for all visitors! For more information, please visit: Calgary Stampede Aggie Days.
For more information, please contact: