Calgary – Join us for the 2018 Calgary Stampede Canvas Auction, presented by GMC! You are invited to be a part of the excitement on Thursday, March 22, 2018, in the Boyce Theatre at Stampede Park. In addition to experiencing the event, there will be opportunities for media to gather interviews and visuals throughout the evening.
The Calgary Stampede Canvas Auction, presented by GMC, offers companies and groups in our community the opportunity to secure a one-of-a-kind advertising opportunity. Successful bidders will team up with one of the 36 talented chuckwagon drivers who have been invited to participate in the Stampede’s annual GMC Rangeland Derby. Advertisers are able to offer clients, employees, family and friends a unique and exclusive behind-the-scenes experience at the Calgary Stampede, while also gaining extensive exposure for their brand. In turn, the auction proceeds support the drivers in caring for their horses throughout the entire racing season, and allow them to carry on the long-standing western tradition of chuckwagon racing.
We’re here to help! If you have any questions, need assistance with arranging interviews, or have technical requirements, please don’t hesitate to ask. Note: you will need to pre-register to ensure your spot in the Boyce Theatre for the auction. We will attempt to accommodate all media who wish to attend, but due to capacity issues we can only guarantee entrance to those who have notified us in advance. Please contact Kristina Barnes email@example.com to arrange accreditation.
WHAT: Calgary Stampede Canvas Auction, presented by GMC
WHEN: Thursday, March 22
Doors open: 3:30 p.m.
Auction: 5 p.m.
WHERE: Boyce Theatre, Stampede Park
Canvas Auction Facts:
- Approximately 180 companies and groups are expected to participate in the 2018 Canvas Auction.
- Bidders are able to register right up until the auction begins.
- A wide range of new groups from many different industries have registered – everything from construction and contracting to tourism and hospitality.
- The Stampede continues to facilitate bidding partnerships, bringing together like-minded groups looking to be involved in this unique advertising experience, without committing to a full ten nights.
- Auction order is determined by 2017 results. Champion Kurt Bensmiller will be the first driver up for auction.
- Kurt Bensmiller has won three of the past four GMC Rangeland Derby Championships.
- Chuckwagon racing is a family affair. Three sets of fathers and sons and three pairs of brothers will compete at the Calgary Stampede in 2018.
- 80% of auction proceeds go directly to the drivers.
- 20% of auction proceeds are reinvested into prize money, safety initiatives and other Calgary Stampede chuckwagon programming initiatives.
- 2017 auction total: $2,420,500
- 2017 average bid: $67,236
- 2017 highest bid: $110,000
- Record auction total: $4,015,000 (2012 – Stampede Centennial)
- Record average bid: $111,528 (2012)
- Record highest Bid: $300,000 (2012)
About the Calgary Stampede
The Calgary Stampede celebrates the people, the animals, the land, the traditions and the values that make up the unique spirit of the west. The Calgary Stampede contributes to the quality of life in Calgary and southern Alberta through our world-renowned 10-day Stampede, year-round facilities, western events and several youth and agriculture programs. Exemplifying the theme We’re Greatest Together; we are a volunteer-supported, not-for-profit community organization that preserves and celebrates our western heritage, cultures and community spirit. All revenue is reinvested into Calgary Stampede programs and facilities.
For more information, please contact:
Communications Manager, Western Events and Agriculture
Community Engagement & Communications