Calgary – The Calgary Stampede Foundation, together with the Calgary Stampede, is excited to celebrate the groundbreaking of SAM Centre with media on Friday, July 15, 2022.
SAM Centre will bring Calgary Stampede history and stories to life through highly participatory and immersive experiences fueled by technology, compelling story-making, and western hospitality. When it opens in late 2023, this year-round attraction will feature 30,000 sq. ft. of space comprised of a permanent gallery, a changing exhibits gallery, an immersive digital experience, indoor and outdoor public gathering spaces, and artifact and archival collection space.
A short formal program will occur outside at the SAM Centre site followed by a groundbreaking photo.
When: 10:30 a.m., Friday, July 15, 2022
Where: SAM Centre Site (623 13 Ave SE, Calgary, AB)
Parking: available in north lots with a media parking pass
Speakers will include:
- Bob Thompson, Chair of Calgary Stampede Foundation
- Don Taylor, lead donor of SAM Centre
- The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry
- The Honourable Jason Kenney, Premier of Alberta
- Mayor Jyoti Gondek, City of Calgary
- Steve McDonough, President & Chairman of the Board, Calgary Stampede
Assets & Visuals
- Media release and digital renderings will be available at the event and posted here shortly after: news.calgarystampede.com
- Stampede artifacts will be on display in Doherty Hall
Additional Interview Availability – post announcement
- Christine Leppard, PhD, Manager, Experience & Exhibits, SAM Centre (Stampede’s Historical Specialist)
About the Calgary Stampede Foundation
The Calgary Stampede Foundation supports youth of Alberta by providing dynamic programming to enhance their leadership skills, personal growth, creativity, and education. Our vibrant and welcoming campus connects arts, heritage, and education. Working with community leaders and philanthropists to ensure our western legacy is preserved for future generations.
About the Calgary Stampede
The Calgary Stampede celebrates the people, the animals, the land, the traditions and the values that make up the unique spirit of the west. The Calgary Stampede contributes to the quality of life in Calgary and southern Alberta through our world-renowned 10-day Stampede, year-round facilities, western events and several youth and agriculture programs. Exemplifying the theme We’re Greatest Together; we are a volunteer-supported, not-for-profit community organization that preserves and promotes western heritage and values. All revenue is reinvested into Calgary Stampede programs and facilities.
For more information, please contact: